Thursday, April 23, 2009

Policy follows Practice - Shifting from Mammon to Maman!

“Policy follows Practice – Shifting from Mammon to Maman”

The written law always takes its meaning from the actual practices of the people, i.e. gets “interpreted”by the going system to reflect and support the workings of that system — the “real” U.S. Constitution is not the document written in 1789, but the actual systemic workings of the beast that actually is US culture. (This means that trying to effect change through mere “policy” reform is pretty much futile, although that’s not my focus at the moment).

In fact, understanding the “real” constitution as the underlying system of practices and not its representation is how the notion of a political “constitution” was understood prior to the writing of the US document. It was Montesquieu, I believe, who coined the term “constitution” to refer to the system of governance of Britain, which was not based on a written document, but had grown up out of historical practices into a balanced system of powers of King and Parliament. When Montesquieu said “constitution,” he meant the practices, not a piece of paper. In England, there was no such piece of paper, no written constitution.

Following this logic, the “actual” US Constitution in the era of the Founders (i.e. the system of actual practices, i.e. the operation of the people in a system of express and unexpress coordinated intentions) was what “produced” the document we know as the “written” Constitution. This accords with what Benjamin Franklin always said: that the real “American Revolution” occurred before the revolutionary war ever started.

It has for a long time been a belief of mine that what is great about "America" — the waif of democratic spirit that still wafts elusively in the air somewhere, still attracts the hopes and dreams of people everywhere around the world, a small kernel of honesty, uprightness, goodness and liberty — this was established and grew in actuality for a while around this time preceding the American Revolution until about 1830 or so (when Emerson reached maturity). Yes, it grew amid a wood rife with evil elements like slavery and patriarchy, yet still it grew; our work is to distinguish the gems in the junkpile as well as the fetid bits. In my dissertation, I wrote about Emerson as living on the cusp of change when the old America and its era of “classical” politics was left behind and something new arose, the era of industrialization, the market economy based, in part, on money created by private banks.

For a long time I didn't at all understand — what I still want to understand more deeply -- the significance of this war of Andrew Jackson's on the establishment of a national US bank, a war Jackson finally lost in 1830. Why was Jackson and so much of the American public at the time so hot about this issue of banks?? Whenever anyone talked about money and banks I got sleepy. Yawn. I looked elsewhere. For some reason, I just couldn’t get myself to look at it. Now I am getting a hint that understanding this sleepiness, this deep-seated restless inability to look, is key to understanding what I and everyone else in our culture is suppressing. It is the great spell upon us. We have inhaled the scent of the poppies that overcame Dorothy, the Lion and the Tin Man.

As I awaken, as I regain my ability to stand and look at what seemed so inherently lacking in interest, I start to understand more clearly how much money and public power — democracy — are related. Money is simply agreement, and the power of a culture to agree is its power to create law that works and that rarely needs to be "enforced" because it is willingly supported by all in daily practice, and reflects popular awareness, thought and desire. This kind of law is not a stick to corral and beat people with, but a reflection of community harmony and wisdom. A glint of the possibility is contained in words like "We the people" and the inspiring sentiment that attaches to them.

One of the ways of stating the problem is that money, as it exists today, is something that all of us use all of the time, but that none of us has a hand in creating; hence by using money we become parties to a pseudo-agreement of which we are not fully aware, which is the perfect picture of what psychologists call "co-dependency." We are hoodwinked and asleep to what is going on. We remain as children being told what to do, and we do not realize that the choice of what to do is our own! All of the money in the system and then some is owned by private banks when money is properly a public power.

According to the monetary view of American history as told by Ellen Brown in this video link (or rather as I see the implications of that history), the American invention of paper money during the era of the Revolution reflected the “classical” or “American Revolutionary” spirit of liberty, the public good, and popular sovereignty; then, in 1830, when the private central Bank on the model of England’s National bank established itself in this country, America got hooked back into the privatized, debt-based money scheme, and non-exploitative prosperity began its great decline.

The most painful part of this decline has occurred with the displacement of "third world" farmers and indigenous cultures around the earth (displaced so that "natural resources" could be taken). This "offshore" exploitation made possible the gradual shifting of Americans themselves from a small-town agricultural to an urban industrial and financial economic basis, in a process that was not here painful, as elsewhere, but was conducted with happy consumerist glee enabling wide popular buy-in to the new system. A home and two-car garage with electric appliances for all! became the new American dream, pushing aside older dreams about democracy, liberty and heavenly communities on earth, dreams that had even given names to some of our cities and towns, such as "Concord" and "Philadelphia" (City of brotherly love). Thereby changes slowly occured in the "actual" practices and relationships underlying our "written" Constitution, ultimately usurping that constitution and the system of popular governance it imperfectly established.

Ellen Brown (5 part series -- I haven’t watched the whole thing yet): Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ZbEVfKJ1w&feature=related

Once the banking system was taken over, the people who were independent and free started to line up for the money that the banks controlled. (Get in line! All the money is over here. Want a job?) Everyone was, slowly, over time, forced to get into the cue. More and more the public lands and the prevailing quasi-public** distribution of land into the hands of many, many, many, many independent self-sufficient individual farmers (at that time 90% of the population), came under the control of fewer and fewer individuals. Landless folks were brought over by the boatload to help speed up the transformation, importing hierarchy and competition here instead of exporting liberty elsewhere.

And here, there was a great, slow sucking towards one central drain: the drain being the growing money power. This drain was in effect a hole punched into the container, the closed system of the American way of life, and the spirit began draining out the hole. This hole coalesces finally with the hole that I identified in my dissertation: in the cosmos of walking distances and direct sensual enjoyment, with sky above, friends and trees at our sides, and earth beneath our feet, a rip was torn open, and the attention of the people was directed to other scales for organizing life: the microscopic and the macroscopic, relations of distance and alienation based on thought-representations. As stated in the poem Louis sent me recently:

Seen from
outside creation
earth and sky
aren't worth
a box of matches.

When we devalue our own direct experience relative to representations of outside authority, we lose our power.

The great danger expressed in these spare poetic lines is the danger of general conflagration: if a culture continues to live for too long on the earth as if it were far, far removed -- for example, from the distant perspective far away in space from which the earth looks to us as round -- we risk developing some powers (e.g. technological, coercive, warlike) and losing others (e.g. moral, communal, relational, loving) that could lead to our blowing the whole thing up. If you lose touch with what you love and where you came from, you may regretfully strike the match that burns all bridges.

Money is a human creation. How we create it, however, makes all the difference in how we experience money, how we view it, what emotions we associate with it. Turn the diamond just a little left or right, and the light refracts and a sparkle lights up. Money is sort of like that. We can make it a mixture, as it is today, of golden light and success for some, and ugly debt, misery and failure for others, or we can make it into a source of ever-increasing light. Money is something like that image that the gestalt psychologists liked to pass around, the one where you can see the same drawing as a beautiful woman or an old hag depending on how you focus your perspective. Money is mammon, a god of greed and gluttony, or maman, a loving mother that brings the best out of everyone.

I don't see how to get to this loving place except through a new conversation. Every moment that any of us can spare from the daily grind, from urgency and necessity, to think and reflect together in a loving spirit -- that is an instance of the conversation that we need to have. Right now, one of my main projects in the world is to create the conversation we need to have so that we can align with one another to discover and deepen, step by step, where all of our hopes, desires and energies can align with one another -- i.e. I am creating action-oriented conversations that bring together the full diversity of affected and relevant stakeholders in order to (1) create a shared big picture in which every perspective sees itself fully acknowledged and (2) discover values and goals that absolutely everyone agrees upon.

When and where all perspectives coalesce into shared understanding and agreed-upon directions, that is where any group is ready to take its next steps together in a direction that includes everyone. Everyone. And, each time we take those steps, no matter how small, each step enlarges our capacity to increase the depth and breadth of a group's agreements, of its inclusivity, which in turn enables the next steps to emerge. With each step, our embrace widens.

That is what I want in this world, and in ourselves, and what I believe each of us wants for the world and for ourselves -- each of us wants that capacity to love everyone. Someone who truly loves everyone, someone who truly loves even me, that is a person that I will love, truly love. Imagine being such a person yourself, in a world of such people.

These system-wide agreements, this widening embrace, goes by the name of Trust; more than that, I am talking about an expanding Public Trust. Public Trust is the basis of all good Law and good Money and good Works and happy Community.

A system to build Public Trust and Public Direction is a system of Governance.

Let us shift from a System of Mammon to a System of Maman!***


[**This notion of the quasi-public is very interesting to me: it is the state of affairs that happens when everyone is an uncompromised individual. It is like the start of a future search, the condition for establishing a shared framework. Why I call it quasi is because I distinguish between everyone in “actual fact” being accorded uncompromised independence of living (e.g. A country of Jefferson’s “self-sufficient farmers) and the actual acknowledgment and recognition of this fact by all participants to create an agreement in the public mind to preserve that state of affairs, which transforms the quasi-public object into a true and veritable public object.]

*** Tree Fitzpatrick - When this thought showed up, I thought of you, Tree, and the thoughts you've shared with me about mother love and systems change.

3 comments:

Tree Fitz said...

Thanks for the mention. I have just spent a couple hours responding but your writing, here, is so sharp. I am all mush.

A few quick pats:

I am a law school graduate and have been an attorney, as you know, Marc. I don't think I have ever talked to you about how I have always felt that the idea of 'the law' has gotten distorted and warped in this culture, along with most things, perhaps. The law is a beautiful thing. It is a desire to achieve shared understanding and then shared goals. It is an effort to capture how beings did things in the past to inform us in the present and help us as we think about how we wish to shape our future.

Shakespeare's famous line 'kill all the lawyers' is actually a really cheap shot. People love to hate lawyers but, as they do so, they forget that lawyers represent human beings. Anything any lawyer does, with very few exceptions, is done on the behalf, and the behest, of someone else. We have all created the 'problem' of lawyers and the way the law works.

I love what you suggest about the 'real' constitution.

I took Constitutional Law in law school so I could pass the bar exam. Man, what a snore that class was. In most of the courses I took in law school, I could catch a wave of energy, suss out the "ENERGY" of torts or contracts or commercial paper and then apply my understanding of the energy to legal scenarios. But Constitutional Law? I never caught the wave. I memorized. I did not discern gems in the junkpile. This evening, I am wishing I could transport myself back to Con Law and look for gems.

As is often the case with me where you are concerned, Marc, I find myself wishing we could hang out for a few hours and talk about this. I have so many thoughts I want to share. to say, not only write.

I am thinking about Rudolf Steiner's indications for economics. He was prolific, and prolific in many realms. He wrote dozens of books on all kinds of topics like medicine, biodynamics, education, human development. His work in economics is great stuff.

Steiner said that a sustainable, thriving human society is threefold: the social realm (roads,water, electricity, etc), the artistic realm (the arts, yes, but also human actualization, education) and the economic realm. The economic realm, he said (I am so totally NOT well versed in Steiner economics, I do not warrant what I say about Steiner) exists only to support the social and artistic realms. If you think about this long enough, you begin to discern that there is no place for accumulation of wealth. An economy provides enough and no more.

What is enough? We met, Marc, at a conference, as you know, for which participants were asked to share a question that was living with them as they arrived at the event. My question was 'what is enough?'. No one approached me about my question. I am not done thinking about 'what is enough' but I am pretty sure that in a world firmly rooted in love, in a culture that truly embraces the Christ Impulse (which was love), there would be no billionaires with marble mansions and almost sickening luxury but neither would there be any hungry homeless people either. In a world rooted in the Christ Impulse, in a threefold social order in which the economic realm ONLY existed to support the development of all the beings that land on this planet, there would be no spectacular wealth but everyone, EVERYONE, would have enough to unfold their respective destinies. And everyone would be wholly free to 'be' whoever and whatever they wished to be.

Do I sound way too dreamy?

Steiner also indicated that shareholders are a cancer on the economic realm. When someone buys a share of stock, they have invested some of their capital in the enterprise. In capitalism, a shareholder is allow to benefit from the labor of that enterprise indefinitely, even though the shareholder does not create. A shareholder is entitled to a small return on their investment because they are entitled to enough. . . but no more. We don't see nature allowing unlimited growth in anything and it is not sustainable in human economies. So long as we allow some lucky few to accumulate far beyond what they really need, there will be some beings without enough.

Now I am thinking of the Ogallala Aquifer, which is a large underground ocean spread across much of the great plains. Large, mostly corporate, farms drain the Ogalalla Aquifer to water cattle and grow the grain to feed the cattle. The Ogallala Aquifer is being drained much more rapidly than the earth can replenish it. Sooner or later, it will run dry, unless we use it more judiciously.

Human economies work like that aquifer. So long as we allow some to have more than enough, there will not be enough for all.

The Christian Bible has many stories that support my dreams for human culture. The loaves and the fishes miracle comes to mind.

I like what you say about Public Trust. I use a different phrase. I speak of 'radical trust'. As I wrote that last bit, I recalled that I do not always practice radical trust. I forgive myself for imperfection, for not always manifesting my aspirations. But, also, it occurs to me that 'radical trust' is not something I can practice on my own, independently, in isolation. Radical trust is, yes, an individual practice, but a collective trust is better. . . . . Say, I think I have just helped myself understand 'Public Trust'. Now I am thinking of famous quote that has been attributed to Nelson Mandela but I have a fuzzy memory that it might have been Martin Luther King and Mandela was wrongly accredited: whoever needs to know for sure can google it. . . the quote is this "I cannot be who I ought to be until you are who you ought to be".

We are all in this together.

It would be fine with me if you did not allow this comment to be published. It is a long ramble and not particularly coherent.

Tree Fitz said...

And finally. . . Marc, you have some very beautiful writing here. You have many beautiful ideas, of course, too.

I wish you had referenced the poem you quote.

I think it is possible to embed a clickable link to the Ellen Brown videos, just in case you are going to start blogging actively.

Did I write this? . . . . I mean, in the long comment I 'published' did I mention the stimulus being completely wrongheaded, seeking to perpetuate the system we have with little consciousness seemingly directed at new.

Tree Fitz said...

Please don't publish all my comments. I get excited, I never edit myself. Edit for me. Read and delete me. Or do what you want, of course.

I love your shift from mammon to maman.

I wonder if humans need money at all.

About twenty years ago, a friend of friends lent me his apartment in Austin, TX while he toured rural India for the entire summer on a motorcycle. He had an accident, badly breaking an ankle, and returned early.

He moved into his city apartment and agreed to let me stay in an exquisite cottage set on a promontory overlooking whitewater. Such a spot in arid Texas is similar to a home overlooking Monterey Bay, I think. He never let anyone go there. He let me because he knew his early return had disrupted my plans plus we had seen that we could help each other.

Marc's city apartment was not wheelchair accessible. He needed someone to wait on him for awhile. I stopped by each day, just for a week or two, and did things for him.

And we talked. Marc told me stories of his trip. He was most thrilled by the story I am working up to tell here.

He had a guide for his roadtrip in India, a man who rode alongside him and translated for him, arranged lodging and meals along the way.

One day, in a very remote patch of road, Marc and his guide came upon a woman who was standing alongside the road with a large water jug and a glass, offering drinks to any passersby that were thirsty. This was, I guess, the local equivalent to a water fountain.

Marc and his guide stopped for water. Marc offered the woman money but she refused it. Then Marc asked his guide why the woman did this work if it was not for money. The guide kept shrugging, as if Marc was odd for not understanding. The guide kept saying 'she does this because this is her work, this is what she is supposed to do, someone needs to do it, people need water and this is her work, to give the water". Marc kept probing, trying to find out how money changed hands. The guide could not comprehend Marc and Marc could not comprehend the guide. And the woman bowed and smiled and, when her jug was empty, left to refill it, returning a short time later.

I believe that some day humans will all find their place just right -- do you know the Quaker hymm that sings of 'turning turning. . . until we are in the place just right'. Some people will run machines because that is what feels right to them. Some people will study chemistry to improve lives. Etc. Some people will sit along the side of a road and play the flute. And everyone will have manna from heaven. There will be no greed, no accumulation of wealth. To each need, that which is needed will be available. All beings will be in harmony. No money.

I have thought about that woman and her water jug many, many times. It seems almost uncanny that you wrote this just now, Marc, because I have been doing quite a lot of thinking about economics this week.

It is hear to imagine a culture other than our own. It is very hard to imagine that a woman would provide water for thirsty neighbors and travelers just because the work needed doing and she felt called to do it.

But before we get to a world without money, I like the idea of money as maman, as mother love.

Did I ever tell you about my love camps? I have long said that I could not write my utopian novel because I could not 'see' how the economy would work . . . and every time I think about an economy for my novel, I think of the woman and the water jug.. . . Well, in this imagined world of mine, when people make mistakes and tread upon other's autonomy, if a simple course correction does not get them back into harmony, . . . if, perhaps they do something bad that they won't stop doing or if they accumulate wealth. . . instead of going to prison for breaking social contracts, they will go to love camps. What will happen in the love camps? They will be loved. The people who work in love camps will be great, great healers, purely loving beings. This work will be some of the most revered work in all of the cosmos. People in love camps will be given everything they need and lovingly, lovingly, nurtured back to a state of health and harmony. Someone like Dick Cheney, for example, might end up living his whole life in a love camp. Each time he had an impulse to impose his views on anyone at all, he would be encouraged to be love. When I plan my love camps, I understand the old fashioned idea of having patients in mental health settings do handwork. For example: in the love camps, Dick Cheney-like beings would be offered paints and music and beauty, over and over. Doing this work would be hard but deeply fulfilling.

In Wally World, kindergarden teachers are widely regarded as some of the most special beings ever. People called to work with five year olds are very, very special. Well, the people called to work in the love camps, to work with people who are living in fear instead of love, will be even more special. It might be the highest possible calling, to love people who have, for example, caused harm to other beings.

This is long enough.